Psalm 119:105 "Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path." (NIV)

Thursday, May 6, 2010

About Priorities..

First of all, I would like to start this post by saying that I realize everyone has a different set of circumstances in life. I ask that before you get defensive or put off by what I have written that you realize I am not passing judgment on working or not working outside the home (or any part of YOUR LIFE) and also, that you would pray to the Lord about his will (NOT MINE OR ANYONE ELSE’S) for your life.

Priorities, we all have them weather we have thought them out and written them down or not. I was googling for various Christian articles and what not and came across this blog site. I was a tad disappointed that the author has not posted since 2009, but the article I am referring to was posted by the author in 2007. The post is on priorities and it really makes me want to find and read this book. I have read other books by this author and I like her, anyhow back to the topic at hand, PRIORITIES! Priorities can be tough to think about and even tougher to change. I must confess as I read this I knew some things were lacking in my own life. I am 8 months pregnant and the big one, if I am honest, is my house. It is not a dirty-neglected place, exactly, but there are some things I could put away and organize and a basket of laundry I could fold and put away – ah, conviction. I know what I’ll be doing soon, at least in part. My question is where are you as you read this post?
(Taken from a post at this site: http://biblicalmotherhood.blogspot.com ) This is a list that I keep on hand to remind me about keeping my priorities straight. I keep it with my little book of household routines. This was shared by Nancy Leigh DeMoss on her radio show for Christian women called Revive Our Hearts. She was discussing the subject of whether or not a Christian wife and mother should work outside the home. She said that you need to be taking care of the first 5 before you think about having a job.

1. Your relationship with the Lord.
2. Your Husband.
3. Your Children.
4. Your House.
5. Ministering to Others.
6. A job - this is where I put my home business.

*Something the author did respond to is, “Why is your house above ministering to others?” I like what her reply was to the woman who left the comment. Basically she said that if a friend or someone needed her while she was cleaning her home or doing some sort of household chore she would drop everything and be there for that person in a heartbeat. She said the issue arises when we are so busy outside the home, that our house is in shambles and our family cannot function within the home.*

May this post bless you in some way I pray,
Christ’s blessings upon you and your household, Ashley

2 comments:

  1. I think that the top 5 list is interesting. I wonder what the author's list would look like for single mommies like myself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LaToya, As I stated I realize that everyone has a different set of life circumstances. I personally do not believe a single parent can be held to the same standards exactly other that the one standard which is to seek the Lord's will in all areas of their life. The Lord will show you your priorities. If you are seeking Christ and know you're doing what he asks of you lists and blog musings don't apply..

    I commend you on all that you do!
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete